Valentine's Day is probably one of my most favorite holidays. Here is why:
1. Everything is red and pink. And normally those colors clash, but not on Valentine's day.
2. Valentine's Day cards. I don't get as many as I used to (like none), but I don't give away as many as I used to. I still love them.
3. Making those boxes to bring to school so your classmates could put your cards in them. I loved that! I saw that you can buy them in Target now...metal ones. What fun is in that?
4. Surprises! I always enjoyed Valentine's Day more when I was single because I couldn't wait to see if a guy would profess his undying love to me. No one ever did, but I just LOVED wondering. When you have a boytoy on Valentine's Day, the magic and the wonder sort of goes out of the holiday because instead it is filled with expectations that are rarely met.
5. Did I mention that I can't resist the color pink?
6. It's about love, and love is good.
This Sunday (Valentine's Day) I am going to an Agape Meal or "Love Feast" which I am super excited about. The hostess describes it as this:
"A Love Feast is a Christian fellowship meal recalling the meals Jesus shared with his disciples and expressing the bonds of love enjoyed by the family of Christ. Our Love Feast will be a potluck, so please bring a dish to share. We will pray, read scripture, sing hymns, and share testimonies."
I don't know why, but that strikes me as what Valentine's Day should really be about...but still with all the pink and red heart decorations!
To avoid unrealistic expectations and major disappointments, and overly full restaurants, Josh and I celebrate Valentine's Day early. This year we are celebrating it today. We are going to make a shrimp pasta that I made for our first Christmas together 4 yrs ago maybe. I am sooo excited about that pasta...it was amazingly delicious and I have never made it since. Then we are going to drink wine and have an early 90's rap dance party if Josh can get the stereo to hook up to his computer. Early 90's rap is some of my favorite.
My stereo has a USB cord and music program so that you can play Pandora through my stereo, only they don't make the program for systems beyond XP, and Josh has Window's 7, sooo I may be having issues with the company.
Here are some fun Valentine's Day links:
History This one mentions slapping women with bloody goat hides. They welcomed it. And then through lottery were placed with men.
Horribly Wonderful Oh man. Oh man.
All Purpose Check Off Card