Thursday, June 24, 2010

Pocket Moonshine

Busy busy busy.

I got back from Mobile a day early and surprised Josh.  I was unsurprised that the dishes weren't done and the apartment wasn't cleaned...but I didn't get mad, technically he had one more day. 

We spent that Friday (b/c I didn't have to go into work because I worked over the weekend before) cleaning out the pantry because we had a major ant problem.  We threw out a lot of food we weren't going to eat, and ended up with one completely empty shelf!!!   I was then able to move my cling wrap, ziploc bags, tin foil, etc. over into the pantry.  Before it was in the top drawer of this beuro that was rickety.  The beuro was kept in the far corner of the dinning room behind the kitchen table and chairs, our extra couch, and boxes of board games.  I am ashamed to admit we still do not have a large enough apartment.   If we would just get rid of the blue couch, things would be tons better.  Soon I will be able to.  I have gotten the couch pictures off my camera AND after this weekend I don't think I have many more plans to travel for the summer. 

Anyways, we lost the war with the ants, they were back in a stronger force the next day b/c I left a bag of dried pineapple in the pantry.  Yeah not to smart of me...that stuffs like crack for ants.  We're trying ant traps now and it seems to be helping. 

Friday night Dee Dee (a friend from high school) was in town for NAMM, National Association of Music Merchants or something like that, and we were planning on going out drinking.  She guessed she might be done by 7, so Josh and I went to Hillsboro Village and ate at Jackson's b/c I wanted some good food.  But then I realized that a buttery greasy sausagey pasta would not be best before a long night of drinking lots of beer, so I got a Croque Madame, which is just like a Croque Monsieur only with a fried egg on it.  Except the waitress I think didn't know what a Croque Madame was and brought me a Croque Monsieur.  I was kinda annoyed because basically it was a fancy grilled ham and cheese sandwiche..and I don't like ham.  I really wanted that fried egg.  It was brie cheese grilled, on ham, in between two pieces of french toast.  I called it a Croque Mister and freedom toast to fit my more American beliefs and ideologies.  Also to piss the hipster's off.  Damn, there were Ssssssssssoooooooooooooooooo many hipsters.  Dressed all "cool" and shiza.  I was wearing a brown tank top and blue skirt and I felt like a giant skank bag compared to all of them with their designer tshirts and 80's dresses and 500$ shoes.  Yeah, doesn't that sort of seem hypocritical of them?  It's what happens when Hipster's parents are rich.  Once we got downtown to all the tourists on the street with their cheap cowboy hats and expensive cowboy boots and tight shirts that are shiny but show every single pound they carry, I felt much better.  No, downtown isn't that bad, there is just more of a range of people and styles.  The Village is just hipsters and everyone looks the same.

After dinner we went to Pangea and I bought a wedding present for Mandy.  She should be excited, it came from Pangea!!  I also got my dad a Father's Day gift.  We'll see how he feels about it.  I bet he looks at it and goes "Gee a ------, That's neat.  Thanks, Lindy."  And then gives me a hug.  That's what he says everytime I give him a gift.  Not that I mind or anything.  This time though I didn't ask my mom first.  She has great practical gift ideas for people, but I'm sorta over the whole practical gift.  Impractical things that I would never buy myself are what I like now.  I'm also trying not to worry over whether a person likes my gifts or doesn't really matter in the end.  Either they will or they won't.

After Pangea Josh and I went to Fido's and had coffee, played trivia on his phone and ate Poletas (mexican popsicles).  It was the perfect end to a perfect date!!!  But wasn't the end!!! 

NEXT CAME PARADISE PARK THE TRAILER PARK BAR!!!  My shoes literally stuck to the floor and I had toilet paper stuck to them all night.  Josh teased me for wanting to take home the Nascar guy cardboard cut out, and we drank $6 pitchers of Natty Light.  Expensive for the rest of the world, cheap for Nashville.  I almost got in a fight with a guy until I noticed he was wearing a Michigan shirt.  I used that to diffuse the situation.  Dee Dee met us there with a friend, Emma.  It was great to see her again.  She is looking all trendy and hipstery now-a-days, but not Nashville hipstery so she isn't pretentious or anything.   She's probably more of a hipster than the Nashville ones really, and that's pretty cool.  EXCEPT she prefers Miller or Bud light to PBR.  Not very hipstery Dee Dee...not very hipstery at all. 

The next day, Saturday, we waged war again on those ants and drew up even.  We waited around for Dee Dee to call us (which happened at 10 pm) and had a very relaxing time doing nothing.  Then, at 10, the time I normally want to head in for bed, we left for Karaoke at Lonnie's.  Lonnie's is the best bar/place in Nashville and it's not on the main strip but nearby, so you have to know how to find it to get there.  Just look for the sign that says Naked Karaoke...that's next door.  At Lonnie's, we ordered PBR (per usual) and the waitress looks at me, and goes "PBR....? Is that a beer?"  Really?  REALLY?  This is a bar that only serves beer AND all bartenders and waitresses that serve alcohol must be licensed and take classes to do so, so she should have learned that.

As we were drinking our PBR (in a bottle, b/c yes it does come that way sometimes), a n older guy sitting next to Josh was very intrigued by the PBR and kept on pointing at it and talking to his wife.  His next beer was a PBR, and he told Josh that he used to drink that "back in the day" and then offered Josh some moonshine from his pocket.  Josh said no.

Dee Dee and Emma sang tons of songs and were amazing!  I sang just one, Ring of Fire by Johnny Cash.  It was one of my better times singing up there.  Josh sang a sublime song and the audience really liked it.

We stayed out until 3am!!  I honestly can't remember the last time I've done that. I spent the next day recuperating by the pool.

No comments: