Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Adventures in Town

The Fremont, the Baby Food Capital of the World, hosted the Baby Food Festival yet again.  It is a week in which downtown (or just Town) is closed off and all the locals go on vacation and all the out of towners come into town.  There are rides and carnies, food, sidewalks sales and live music.  One year Da Yoopers came and played.  I just go their cassette tape free at a yard sale a few weeks ago.

This year we entered Lilly into the Baby Crawl.  It's a race where babies crawl from one end of the stage to the other on a mat.  I've never seen it before, but I had heard about it.  It's adorable!  So many crawling babies!  Lilly did not crawl, she sat there and tried to tear up the tape that was holding the starting line down.  I was so proud, she didn't cry and make me look like a horrible mom.  That's all I asked for.  The winners of the heats got a large stuffed Nesquic (chocolate milk) rabbit. All the entrants got a diaper bag (not an awesome one) filled with Gerber baby stuff.  Most importantly to me, it had a Gerber baby bib in it.  Those are the best bibs of all the bibs I've tried...until you reach the stage where you need the silicon ones that catch the food.  Those are leveled up bibs.

There was a drawing from the names of all the babies and the winner got a life insurance policy for the baby.  Lilly did not win that. 

Then I met up with a friend who lives in town so she's a pro at the BFF (Baby Food Festival) and showed me where to go to get another, different, diaper bag full of baby food from Gerber, including another bib.  Both Josh and I got a bag filled with the stuff. Best BFF experience ever.

Earlier in the week Lilly and I walked around at the Kids Expo, where all the kid related companies set up booths and gave out their swag. There were so many people and kids and strollers!  Lilly missed her nap and her lunch, and she is such a blessing.  She didnt' cry, she didn't get mad, she just sat there miserable, waiting for it to be over. 

At the EMS booth, I asked them if they knew the number for the police.  I've been thinking about this on and off for a while.  You are only suppose to call 911 if it's an emergency and if it's not you need to call the police.  But when you need to call the police, you usually don't have time to look it up on your phone, the yellow pages, the internet, wherever.  The EMS guy told it to me (924-2100) and then said that I can just call 911 anyways.  I was all, but it HAS to be an emergency.  In Nashville they have billboards up (the good ones were in spanish) explaining what was an emergency and what wasn't and whatever you do, don't dial 911 unless it is.  The EMS guy said that Newaygo County was probably not as busy as Nashville. 

Well.  That's something I hadn't thought of.  I like to think I would have, eventually.  I spent a lot of time in the car trying to figure out what to dial instead of 911.

Yesterday was Bill's Shop n' Save day again.  I needed milk and meat for Josh's sandwiches.  It was not as pleasant a trip as usual.  First, as I was pulling up, I had to wait for a mom and her small daughter to cross the parking lot to go out to their car.  They took their sweet time, but that's okay I said.  Then I went in and got a cart.  But it was the kind of cart where the green flap thing that Lilly sits on up front doesn't stay down.  It's spring loaded to flip up and makes it nearly impossible to get Lilly into her cart seat alone.  That was flustering and I forgot to sanitize the cart.  Not a big deal, I just don't like messing up my routine.  Step one is walk in and look to see who is working and choose which bagger and cashier I want to go to.  I have two favorites and I try to stick to them to increase my chances of building a relationship.  Step two is get a cart, put Lilly in it and sanitize it.  Step Three is Groceries.  So I was on step three, heading towards the donuts, and that same woman and daughter I had to wait to cross the parking lot some how got back INTO the store and I had to wait for them once again!  Finally, I'm to the donuts, and I find the bag and a tissue grabber sheet.  And this woman who is not old but older than me (60ish...this age hates to be called "older" even though that's what they are!) she comes up and is completely annoyed that I am in her way.  Even though I was there first, I could tell by the way her hands were always right behind mine and how she was trying to get into all the donut doors I was already getting into that she was annoyed that I was there.  I was inconvieniencing her!  Shit.  I was there first.  I hate it when people do that to me.  Why do people think it's okay to push me around?  She is probably the Queen of Fremont.

Then guess what!  I discovered that they did indeed hire new people at Bill's.  The newest lady was working in the deli, where I get the meat for sandwiches.  First, she didn't have the customer service training talk yet, and I had to wait a while for some other lady (her trainer) to see me and come tell the new lady that she could stop what she was doing to help me.  I asked for one pound of tavern ham.  So the lady had to spend a few minutes figuring out how to get her gloves on.  Then spend some time figuring out how to open the sliding glass doors to the meat, and then talk to the trainer lady about which meat was the Tavern Ham.  This is okay.  New people are slow.  So she grabs a stack of ham and puts it on the scale.  It's half a pound almost exactly.  She spends a minute figuring out how to press the scale buttons so the price comes up.  Then she puts one more slice on the stack to bring it up to 0.57 lbs.  Then she starts to pack it up, and the lady trainer her says that she thinks I asked for a whole pound of meat.  I confirm that I did.  So the new lady grabs two slices of ham...and nope, that's not enough.  So she grabs two more slices.  Nope.  She man-handled every slice of ham of mine for the entire second half a pound!  She had to go one to two slices at a time! UGH.  That was not okay.  That's not due to being new.  That's due to being slow.  (I know, I know, maybe she was nervous about taking forever and wasn't thinking clearly b/c she's new.  I know.)

Then I grabbed Josh's favorite potato chips and left.  The cashier lady was nice and the bagger was Nate.  I don't know him.  But I go to him every time.  We discussed the weather as we walked out to the car.  I'm trying to practice asking him a nice question that doesn't have to do with the weather for next time.  It's hard and I usually chicken out because I'm shy and just mention the weather again.  I'm thinking I'll ask "So, are you in school?" Or should I say college? 

And that's my life.

1 comment:

Laura @ Keeping Up With the Mikes said...

You could ask him if he has any plans for the summer.