Saturday, December 28, 2013

Animal Oasis

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!  I hope it's been a great year for you, following.  It has been for me!

Today Josh and I were enjoying the bright sunshine and relatively warm weather outside.  I am always amazed at how much this home is an oasis of food.  It is like a water oasis in a desert, only it is a food oasis in the forest.  It's in the open, but there is a bird feeder or three, a compost pile with bones, a garden and a pasture full of grass and seeds.  The animals can eat, but they exposed to predators. 

Cats live inside the house.  Coyotes range the perimeter in the woods.  Squirrels, birds, mice and other small animals live underground and in the trees surrounding the house.  Cats from around come to the compost pile as well as other scavengers that are larger but I haven't seen yet, so I don't know what they are.  A flock of turkey's wander through from time to time.  Deer run around.  And BATS!  I think.

One night I was standing too close to a pine tree and either 10's of bats flew out at once or a large bird did.  It was dark and we could only judge by the loudness of the sound...but for sure, it was just above my head.

A huge bird, probably Giant Hawk, flew down and tried to catch a small bird by the edge of the woods today.  It flew from tree to tree and then slowly circled up around the house afterwards.  I could see it's tail moving to direct it's flight direction.  It was so peaceful and floating.  I could see each of it's feathers on it's wings and almost hear its wings flapping. It puts you in mind of how small you are and how big life is.

After it left, I used my new yoga skillz to practice snowball throwing.

It was a good day.

No comments: